My research interests include areas such as good governance and leadership, as well as well-being and quality of life, at the organizational and societal levels. I am the Coordinator of the Human Resources Management Department at the School of Social and Political Sciences of the University of Lisbon (https://www.iscsp.ulisboa.pt/pt) and the President of the Center for Administration and Public Policies (http://capp.iscsp.ulisboa.pt/en/). I am currently the Portuguese National Repreentativa at the Board of the European Academy of Management - EURAM (http://www.euram-online.org/).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Organizational Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Cavaleiro, S., Gomes, C., & Lopes, M.P. (in press). The relation between family-supportive work environment and work–family conflict: Does leader support act as a moderator of this relation in the Portuguese Navy? Armed Forces & Society.
- Esteves, T., & Lopes, M.P. (2017). Crafting a calling: The mediating role of calling between challenging job demands and turnover intention. Journal of Career Development, 44(1), 34-48.
- Esteves, T., & Lopes, M.P. (2017). Leading to Crafting: The Relation Between Leadership Perception and Nurses’ Job Crafting. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 39(6), 763-783.
- Esteves, T., Lopes, M.P., Geremias, R.L., & Palma, P.J.P. (2018). Calling for leadership: leadership relation with worker’s sense of calling. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 39(2), 248-260.
- Kaiser, S., Muller-Seitz, G., Lopes, M. P., & Cunha, M. P. (2007). Weblog-technology as a trigger to elicit passion for knowledge. Organization, 14(3), 385-406.
- Lopes, M.P. (2017). Leading by fear and by love: Niccolò Machiavelli and the enlightened despotism of the Marquis of Pombal in the eighteenth century Portugal. Management & Organizational History, 12(4), 374-390.
- Lopes, M.P. (2014). Rebuilding Lisbon in the Aftermath of the 1755 Earthquake: Max Weber Revisited. Journal of Management History, 20(3), 278-291.
- Lopes, M. P. (2011). A psychosocial explanation of economic cycles. Journal of Socio-Economics, 40(5), 652-659.
- Lopes, M. P., & Cunha, M. P. (2008). Who is more proactive, the optimist or the pessimist? Exploring the role of hope as a moderator. Journal of Positive Psychology, 3(2), 100-109.
- Lopes, M. P., Cunha, M. P., & Palma, P. J. (2009). Case studies on what entrepreneurs actually do to attract resources: A two-route framework. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 17(3), 323-349.
- Lopes, M. P. & Cunha, M. P., & Palma, P. J. (2007). Giving out but not giving up: The Port of Lisbon Authority (1907-2005). International Public Management Review, 8(1), 31-53.
- Lopes, M. P., Cunha, M. P., & Rego, A. (2011). Integrating positivity and negativity in management research: The case of paradoxical optimists. Management Research, 9(2), 97-117.
- Lopes, M.P., Palma, P.J., Cardoso, B.C., & Gomes, C. (2016). Training for happiness: The impacts of different positive exercises on hedonism and eudaemonia. SpringerPlus, 5, 744.
- Lopes, M. P., Palma, P. J., & Cunha, M. P. (2011). Tolerance is not enough: The moderator role of optimism on perceptions of regional economic performance. Social Indicators Research, 102(2), 333-350.
- Palma, P. J., Cunha, M. P., & Lopes, M. P. (2010). The best of two worlds: How privatization affects the identity of a public organization. Public Management Review, 2(5), 725-746.
- Palma, P.J.P., Lopes, M.P.L., & Alves, T.F. (2018). Entrepreneurship as a Calling: A Pilot Study with Aspiring Entrepreneurs. Journal of Entrepreneurship, 27(2), 277-300.
- Rego, A., Bluhm, D., Story, J.S.P., Owens, B.P., Chi, Y.K., Cunha, M.P., Lopes, M.P. (in press). Conveyed Leader Psycap Predicting Leader Effectiveness through Positive Energizing. Journal of Management.
- Rego, P., Lopes, M.P., & Simpson, A.V. (2017). The Authentic-Machiavellian leadership grid: A typology of leadership styles. Journal of Leadership Studies, 11(2), 48-51.
- Soares, A.E., & Lopes, M.P. (in press). Are your students safe to learn? The role of lecturer’s authentic leadership on the creation of psychologically safe environments and their impact on academic performance. Active Learning in Higher Education.
- Human Resources Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Strategic Leadership
Miguel Pereira Lopes
Center for Administration and Public Policies
Social and Political Sciences Institute
Rua Almerindo Lessa